Trukhaniv island is a recreation area in the middle of the Dnipro river, connected with the city by the Pedestrian bridge (Pishokhidnyi mist). There is a version that the name of the island comes from the name of the Cumans’ khan Tugorkan, whose daughter married the prince of Kyiv Sviatopolk and, apparently, after that he set up his residence here. From the XIX century, shipping workshops appeared here and the first yacht club in Kyiv was opened. Already in 1907, a permanent settlement appeared on the island, in which, due to the constant floodings, houses were placed on piles. Before the World War II, everything was prospering here. There were 367 buildings here, a church, a school, an open city beach with attractions. During the war, the village was completely destroyed by German troops.
Nowadays there is a recreation area with beaches here, restaurants and sports grounds.
In honor of the memory of locals who died after huge fire in 1989, the monument by Volodymyr Chepelyk was put here. It is a soldier, standing near the burnt boat and plates with the names of the victims.
Pishokhidnyi mist is the only pedestrian bridge across the Dnipro. It was built in 1957, for easier connection with Trukhaniv Island. The openwork structure has a length of 430 m and a width of 7 m. In order to provide free passage of vessels during possible floods, the bridge was raised for 26 m in height above the river level. After the reconstruction in 2017, the bridge received ultra-modern polymer coatings, velo tracks and underground garbage containers.
- How come you still have no photo on the bridge? Try to take it in unusual pose!